Search This Blog

Friday 23 September 2011

Custom paperweight with a lock of hair

I have been asked several times in the past to make paperweights containing locks of hair for people who want to preserve a lock of hair from a loved one, baby or pet. They don’t necessarily want an item to wear such as my hair keepsake jewellery; but they want to preserve the lock of hair within a custom made object that they can view every day.

Custom hair keepsake paperweight
Custom hair keepsake paperweight

So a couple of weeks ago I started making my first paperweight containing a lock of my own hair tied with a pretty purple bow! This paperweight took me at least 10 days to make because I wanted to take my time and also wanted to prevent any heat build-up that can occur when working with large quantities of resin. The finished paperweight is dome shaped and measures three inches in diameter and approximately 2 inches high. The lock of hair is suspended within the centre of the resin paperweight and surprisingly the paperweight has quite some weight, weighing over 100 grams (about the same as an apple when I weighed them).

Paperweight with hair
Paperweight with hair

These custom made paperweights are going to be an ideal solution for people who want to preserve an item and don’t want an item of jewellery. They are also going to be great for the larger items such as large flowers, pieces of fabric and other items of memorabilia that would be too large to incorporate into an item of jewellery.

I am going to have some great fun making these paperweights and my mind is already full of ideas for things to encapsulate into them. Make the most of this as it will be the last time you will see my hair tied with a purple bow but I must admit I don’t think it has ever looked so nice, what do you think?

Mick.

7 comments:

  1. I am so impressed - what a great idea Mick! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! Something a little bit different to my jewellery and I must say myself I am very impressed how good my hair looks in the paperweight!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mick - that is lovely, when my brother was little, my mum did hot cut his hair until he was two as she wanted her mother to see his luxurious sausage curls, I just know she would have loved to have kept one of the curls in one of your paperweights :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! That sounds like me, I didn't cut my son's hair for several years and made the most of his curls. In fact he was the reason for me making hair keepsake jewellery for people. I wanted to keep one of his curls for his baby box and so preserved it within a silver locket with resin. Glad you like my paperweights and would love to be given the opportunity of encasing a complete curl within one!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, love the paperweights.

    (sorry I'm late!)

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I'll be in touch! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the time and trouble taken to comment and will publish as soon as possible.