Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2011

Steampunk necklace – Old watch parts and a mouse!

Hickory, dickory, dock,
The mouse ran up the clock.
The clock didn’t strike (it had no hands),
So the mouse stayed where it was,
Hickory, dickory, dock...tick tock.

Yes, you may have guessed that my latest necklace is an interpretation of the classic nursery rhyme; however this mouse wants to stay on the clock.

Steampunk necklace - mouse necklace
Steampunk necklace - mouse necklace

This Steampunk style pendant incorporates an old watch mechanism within a circular pendant bezel that has a burnished finish. The pendant has an integrated tube bail and is hung from a leather thong style necklace chain. The cheeky little mouse took me a long time to source. It is sterling silver and was actually discovered attached to on an old pair of earrings.

I am very proud of this pendant as I have managed to avoid the use of resin that has somewhat dominated my jewellery making! I wanted to keep the old watch parts exposed and natural to make the pendant more tactile. I really do enjoy making Steampunk jewellery; I find it quite therapeutic turning old watch parts into something that can be enjoyed again.

I don’t think I will be selling this pendant but will display her in my ‘studio’ as an inspirational piece..having said that, my wife has already worn the necklace to a family meal so if it goes missing I know where to look!

...tick tock tick tock...

4 comments:

  1. Nice necklace, the mouse really sets it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't discovered the mouse. The mouse was the reason behind the necklace and it too me ages to find one!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely necklace, not surprised you and mrs shpangle are keeping it.

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really beautiful I don't blame your wife for 'borrowing' it. :o)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the time and trouble taken to comment and will publish as soon as possible.