Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Confetti - Weddings, Parties or just for fun!

I do love confetti...I love it sprinkled on tables at weddings or parties, I love throwing it at newly-weds and I especially love combining it with my jewellery. I have more confetti than you could ever wish for in my craft collection and this is why this week I decided to do something with it and made these.

Confetti Jewellery - Confetti Pendants
Confetti Jewellery - Confetti Pendants

These pendants contain multicoloured confetti stars embedded in resin. I have also added a sprinkle of glitter dust to give them even more of a twinkle.

There is something about Confetti that evokes happiness and pleasure, but where did it originate?

The throwing of Confetti can be traced back to Pagan times. During the wedding ritual the Pagans would scatter grain over the happy couple. It is thought that the Pagans believed that the fertility of the seeds would be transferred to the married couple.

The actual word 'confetti' is derived from the Italian word for confectionary and was used to describe the sweetmeats (sugar-coated grain and nuts), that were often thrown over newly-weds.

Today the rice and grain has been replaced by tiny pieces of coloured paper in all shapes and sizes. Often this coloured paper has been made to resemble flower petals, which dates back to the tradition of throwing rose petals before the bride as she walks down the aisle. The throwing of flower petals was said to ward off evil spirits and grant fertility to the newly-weds.

I just love confetti for its beauty, the shimmering colours, and the happiness it gives people. You can view more  confetti pendants on my website.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sparkles Shpangle!!
    I'm nominating you for the sunshine award :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the time and trouble taken to comment and will publish as soon as possible.