Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2010

Horsey horsey don't you stop

This is my 1st blog entry for 2010 so I'll start by wishing you all a Happy New Year and hope that 2010 will bring everything that you wish for. This is also my first custom order for the New Year and it was quite a fun one to do!

A lady wanted some hair from her horse (the horse is named Madonna aka Boo), preserved within a resin pendant. The hair was taken from the horses tail (it was due for a cut anyway) and one thing that struck me was just how coarse the hair was...it certainly took quite a bit of effort to get the scissors through it!
Horse hair jewellery
Horse hair jewellery

Anyway, I made two pendants and couldn't decide on which one I preferred so I gave her both...as you can imagine she was very pleased. They certainly look unusual and quite classy in an ‘out of the ordinary’ sort of way. For the heart shaped pendant, I took 2cm strips of the horse hair and embedded them quite randomly within the resin, building the pendant up in several layers. For the teardrop shaped pendant, I took a clump (not sure if that is the right word to use) of the horse hair and tied one end with black nylon thread before embedding it in the centre of the pendant.

I have already added a page to my website that describes preserving locks of hair and have now extended it to include horse hair keepsake jewellery.

1 comment:

  1. Both of these pendants are truly fab... I especially love the 'randomness' of the heart pendant.

    No wonder your customer was pleased!!

    Can't wait for our order to arrive... thank you so much!!

    Love Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the time and trouble taken to comment and will publish as soon as possible.